My computer was fast when I bought it now it seems slow. Why is it slow?
There are multiple reasons slowdowns and solutions to make your computer faster again
- 1. As you use your computer, you will often download programs such as Music players, DVD players, AOL, antivirus software, and other programs that run whenever your computer boots up. These programs usually display in the system tray by the clock. All of these programs take up system resources (memory) while it is running. This will cause your computer to slow down.
- 2. As your computer is used, the hard disk drive and registry becomes fragmented or spread out, which slows down the amount of time the computer, takes to read a file off the hard drive. This affects the speed at which programs load as well.
- 3. You could have spyware. Virus/Spyware/Malware. Spyware is a general classification for software that is designed to track the way you use your computer. Spyware usually just tracks your internet browsing habits, and sends you popup ads based on the sites that you regularly visit. Some spyware is much more insidious, and causes you to receive unsolicited emails (SPAM), or even places pornography on your machine. In some cases erase your hard drive. A competent computer technician can assist you in removing the spyware from your computer, and immunizing your computer so that you are less likely to get spyware again in the future.
- 4. There are also hardware upgrades that can make your computer run faster. The most affordable way is faster Ram and more off it. Faster and bigger hard drives help to. Another upgrade is a faster CPU. With the right consultation from a professional cost versus value can be explored for your computer. Usually it pays to upgrade but sometimes buying a new computer is more cost effective. Affordable Geeks can help you decide.
Why should I protect myself from viruses….I rarely go onto the Internet I just check my email.
There are multiple approaches to security
- 1. Purchase up-to-date Antivirus Software. Affordable Geeks will provide a free new low profile antivirus program if needed. New Antivirus programs have better technology for scanning email as it comes in, updating themselves easily, and finding virus like activity, even if the virus has not yet been recorded.
- 2. Keep your Antivirus Software current by downloading Virus Profiles and program updates on a Weekly basis it is an absolute must do or your software is useless. New viruses are released on a daily basis. These updates give you protection against new viruses as they are discovered daily. With the increasing use of the Internet, viruses spread much more quickly. It is not unusual to detect a virus within two weeks of it being released.
- 3. Make sure to update with Windows operating system using their update utility or update. Windows can be set up to run updates automatically.
- 4. Many viruses will exploit holes in windows, and the windows email software (Outlook, and Outlook Express). Installing these patches will protect you against many of the known security flaws in Windows.
- 5. Please use common sense when handling incoming email. Do not open any email attachments that you are not expecting.(Only someone you know is sending an email to you) Email attachments ending in: .scr, .bat, .pif, .exe, .com, .js, and .jhtml
What are Cookies?
Cookies are just small .txt (text) files that by themselves cannot hurt your computer. Cookies are "set" by almost EVERY web-site that you visit, on every visit. You can delete all your cookies today and by tomorrow you will have dozens again just be visiting web-sites. They don’t slow down your computer and for the average person do not pose as a security problem.
Are credit cards safe on line?
Is it necessary to have https (SSL) for credit card payments? Any risk without https? Yes, for financial transactions you should always check for websites with are SSL secured, i.e. running HTTPS. Also check the certificate that appears when the page is getting loaded to make sure it has been issued by a trusted CA. To some this may be confusing but Affordable Geeks can show you how to set up a flexible security solution.
What is Wi Fi?
Fidelity is a branding term used to signify compliance with the IEEE 802.11b standard for wireless Ethernet. Wi Fi is a radio frequency standard that is used to connect devices, such as computers together using a wireless connection. Instead of computers being connected with network cables, signals are sent over radio frequencies using wireless network cards and hubs. Most home networks can be set up this way with a little help from a professional.
What is the difference between LAN and WAN
LAN = Local Area Network. Generally, networks of computers in relatively close physical proximity to one another. Uses short range network topologies like Ethernet to connect network nodes. Generally needs only small to medium scale management. Can be cheaply and easily built by technicians using standardized components and structured wiring systems.
WAN = Wide Area Network. Networks comprised of machines that may be at great physical distances from one another. Using telecommunications links which may span international borders, and use undersea cables, satellite links, or other sophisticated, professionally managed and maintained systems to interconnect network nodes. Usually requires the technical expertise of trained network personnel to design and manage. Often requires services from publicly regulated vendor organizations for at least the telecommunications links.
How do I know if software I download is safe?
Who do we trust not to get Viruses, Spyware or Malicious software? How can I check this when I download something? What are the best practices? Who can test the software and how?
Download from official websites; search around for opinions and reviews. Don't just download whatever you first find on Google.
You should have virus scanner installed. Some virus scanners let you right click the downloaded file and choose "scan for viruses"
Run the program in a sandbox it makes copies of all the files the program need to install and execute all in one folder which is isolated from your main system so no harm can be done you can even run Trojans/viruses in there and just wipe it and start again without infecting the PC. At affordable Geeks we can tutor and coach you the best ways to be secure.